Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Monday, October 02, 2006

Back To Manayunk

I drove down Domino Lane a few months ago and on down to Manayunk and I saw nothing that would remotely remind me of anything as I remember it in my memory. The roads are all paved and have lots of traffic. Umbria Street is completely built up with commercial type and manufacturing buildings. It is hard to think of this as the locale of the barefoot cow-minding days of my youth.
The older section of Umbria Street is pretty much unchanged except for the traffic. The houses are the same and perhaps better maintained all the way down to the end of the trolley line on Main Street. On the other direction up toward Shawmount, the buildings seem to be mostly manufacturing businesses with Shawmount Avenue pretty much as of old.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home