Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

More Background

I guess that fall was when I should have quit farming and taken a job elsewhere, but I had no desire to go in the army. So I looked around for some farm that I might be able to afford. Even the smallest and most dilapidated was beyond my means. I finally decided on one near Salfordville. It was rather small for a dairy farm and was badly in need of repair. Claire seemed willing to try our luck there so we moved in on New Year's Day of 1943. That and what happened later, I think I have told before.
I continued selling the milk that was produced to Witchwood Dairies the same as before for the next two years or so, but I found that delivering it took too much of my time, so for a time I sold the milk to Supplee Dairies in Philadelphia. They had a truck that picked up the milk at the different farms. They did not pay as well, but soon after this I decided o leave this farm and take the job at Plymouth Meeting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home