Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Saturday, September 23, 2006

The Family Farm

The landfill happened long after I had moved away, but the farm was still owned by the family with brother Tom acting as manager. Besides the contract with the city, he rented another place as a rock quarry and some others as landfill sites. Even when divided among all my brothers and sisters it produced a very welcome income during those difficult years.
Later on, the city condemned the land and bought it to build the "Northwest Incincerator." Since then all the roads have been paved and are heavily traveled. Umbria Street is solidly occupied by industrial and business places and I am sure that I would not recognize it if I did not know where I was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home