Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

More Of 1942

I should have said it was a busy year. A few days later, I was informed by my landlord that the farm was for sale. I was asked if I wanted to buy it but, as I had very little money and knew very little about mortgages or financing such a purchase, I told him that I was not interested. That was another of my mistakes because in a few years that farm was worth several times what I would have paid for it. Now, after forty-eight years, I'm sure it is worth millions.
In that same year (1942) the country was preparing for war, and all men between the ages of eighteen and forty were told to register for the draft. After I had registered, I was informed that I was deferred because, as a dairy farmer, I was necessary to the war efforts. At the same time, the dairy that was buying the milk became so far behind in payment that I had to quit delivering it and I was forced to find a new market for the milk. That old dairy soon went bankrupt owing me quite a large sum. But after only three days I found another place to sell the milk that was nearby and gave me a much better price.

1 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The North Wales farm that Uncle Frank writes about was eventually bought by the Roth family as a summer retreat. They owned a pharmaceutical company on Spring Garden Street in Philadelphia. After a while Mrs. Roth stayed there all year round. Mr. Roth died first. His children wanted to develop the land as a shopping center. Mrs. Roth would have none of it. She bought an adjacent farm and bequeath all the property to the Delaware Valley College to be used as a living farm museum.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home