Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Monday, September 25, 2006

A Proposal

We always had a large picnic in the summer (the last Sunday of June), with all relatives and their family and friends. One year I estimated a hundred and twenty-five people came. Everyone brought their own food and contributed toward a keg of beer.
After the last one of these picnics in 1942, several relatives and friends stayed into the evening while I finished my evening chores in the barn. Later I took Claire home to her home on Sidney Street in Mount Airy. We sat in the car in front of the house for a long time, and it was there that I asked her to marry me. It was late when we went into the house. Dolly and Charley were in the living room and Helen was on the stairs on her way up to bed. When I announced our intention to marry, they brought out a bottle and we celebrated again before I went home. It was a long and busy day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home