Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Friday, September 29, 2006

Brother Tom, Handyman Mike, and the Lamplighter

I saw very little of Tom during my early years because he was so much older. He was working and away from home and later he was in the Navy and away for a long time.
The room on the third floor was Mike's room and I am sure it was just as cold in the winter. Mike seems to have been a very quiet and lonely man. He had no friends that I know of, but he had a good sense of humor and could hold a good conversation. Sometimes he would talk for hours to the lamplighter in the evening. I suppose the lamplighter's wife wondered what was keeping him. That man went around every evening carrying a torch to light the gasoline mantle lamps that were used in those days to light the smaller roads in the area. I don't know how many lamps he had to light or how they got turned off in the morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home