Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Saturday, September 30, 2006

The Fox Family

The next house on Domino Lane was on the other side and about two hundred yards away. It was on the farm of Matthew A. Fox. Mr. Fox was a real estate operator in South Philadelphia and he had four sons and four daughters. They were Matt Jr., Walt, Leo and Tom. The daughters were Hilda, Margaret, Betty and Augusta. All but (blank) were older than I and I did not know them very well. I often wonder about their house and barn.
The barn was right on the road and I remember one time helping them put in hay. I suppose the horses and other animals were kept in the stable underneath, but the carriage house and wagon sheds were in the other side of the house about a hundred yards away.
Another thing that puzzled me were the elaborate foundations that were on the lower side of the house. They were of poured concrete and it may have been that Mr. Fox had started to build a new house and later abandoned the project. He died while I was still quite young. The family married and moved away one by one and finally, Mrs. Fox moved in about 1923. After that the house was rented to various people and still was when I moved away in 1932.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home