Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Juldy: 1, k.

b. Insert Dulcolax suppository as first step in program, using a well lubricated rubber glove. (We wrap and save the glove for use later in this routine.)
c. Spread underpad (Chux). This is necessary in my case, as I cannot be placed on a bedpan or commode for a variety of reasons 0 the main one being to prevent undue prolonged pressure to critical spots on my skin.
d. Breakfast is fed to me this morning while I am still flat on my back. (Hot coffee stimulates action of the suppository.)
e. Range of motion exercises. These also aid action of the Dulcolax. (See Appendix III)
f. Finish program by using the well lubricated rubber glove for gentle stimulation of the rectum, which pretty well insures two day free from accidents. Using the middle finger for this procedure is also a good way of detecting an impaction. (An enameled porcelain container lined with paper towels is used for collecting refuse and toilet paper which is then flushed into toilet. Lysol is used liberally as a disinfectant during the process of cleaning up this container. Needless to say, all this involves much hand washing - we still use pHisohex.)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home