Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Friday, March 20, 2009

Judy: 1, e.

c. Another possible addition to the tub is a contoured plastic or fiber-glass chair with suction cups to hold it in place. Personally, I prefer to sit on a folded bath towel with a second one folded and place behind my back.
d. To prevent the room from becoming hopelessly wet as I transfer in the lift from the tub, we have devised a very successful routine.
1). While I am being bathed, the bed linen is changed and covered completely with a large, flannel-lined plastic table cloth - flannel side up.
2). This in turn is covered with a large terry cloth beach towel. We made our own from three yards of 36" terry toweling.
3.) When I am ready to transfer back to bed, we re-attach and raise the lift and, while I am suspended over the tub, wrap a second beach towel around my back and seat. With all excess water blotted dry by the time I reach bed, the remaining process of rolling off the protective covering is neat and easy.
e. Extra shower rods over the tub for hanging the wet towels and sling complete t he entire set-up and a folding screen painted to match the walls hides it all form view when not in use. This screen also gives privacy by covering the doorway when I am in the tub.
f. An alternative to the bath tub, especially for a hospital or nursing home patient, is a ledge-less hospital type stall shower used with a special shower chair or a blanket covered hospital stretcher. I used this latter method like a "car wash" - feet end wheeled in first, then reverse for upper end and shampoo. After four months of nothing but bed baths, the running water felt marvelous!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home