Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Monday, March 16, 2009

Judy: I, a.

Part I
9 A.M. to 1 P.M. - Morning Care
A. Since the entire morning's work is actually bedside care, I will begin with an inventory of all items involved:
1. A hospital type bed is a great help to the "nurse" for bedside care; bathing, dressing and physical therapy are all much easier when the "patient" is at a convenient height. My bed had full length guard rails on both sides, which make turning and lying on my side much safer. It also have a standard I.V. pole attached to the footboard from which we hang a string to suspend the catheter drainage bag below mattress level.
2. In addition to the regular mattress on the bed, I use an Alternating Pressure Pad Unit (Grant Airmass Corp., Vanderbilt, Mich.) to help prevent pressure sores.
3. Also for this purpose, I have a Stryker Flotation Pad (Stryker Corp., Kalamazoo, Mich.) and/or a Jobst Flotation Pad (Jobst Institute, Inc., Toledo, Ohio) which are both made of a jelly-like substance and used as a seat cushion in my wheelchair or chaise lounge by day and under my heels by night. Available in conjunction with either of these flotation pads is a foam leveling mattress, made to surround the pad on the bed. We have been pleased to have mine during electrical power failures, when the alternating air pad was not working.
(Note: Judy underlined the words that appear in italics above. As the computer doesn't seem to have an underlining capacity, I'll follow the italics mode throughout.)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home