Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Judy: Intro Continued

For want of a better way to present this information, I will describe a typical day's schedule, listing whatever seems appropriate, equipment, special details and our reasons for proceeding as we do. Although I know it need not be stressed, I should mention that all physical therapy, medications and diet restrictions have been suggested for my particular condition and should have a doctor's approval before being used in another case.
I am a twenty-eight year old, basically healthy, female quadriplegic. Since September 1967, when my spinal cord was crushed at the C-5,6 level, I have been paralyzed and without feeling from the shoulders down, which has necessitated the use of a Foley catheter and an organized bowel routine. To allow me to lead as normal and active a life as possible, our goal two days a week is preparing me to leave the house for several hours in the afternoon to work in the lab at Sacred Heart Hospital. Other afternoons are spent visiting with friends, either in person or by phone, shopping at our nearby mall, studying and preparing for work, dining out and keeping up with my correspondence and avocations.
In the interest of clarity, details will be presented in four segments:
Part I - 9 A.M. to 1 P.M. (Morning care)
Part II - 1 P.M. to 9 P.M. (Living)
Part III - 9 P.M. to 1 A.M. (Evening care)
Part IV - 1 A.M. to 9 A.M. (Sleeping and turning)
Judith Byrne
1819 Gravers Road
Norristown, Penna.
19401
(Note: I omitted the next page, as it is an index that repeats the section titles and seems unnecessary here.)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home