Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Aunt Mary's Memoirs, Chapter 2: VII

The young couple lived on the farm in Bala, and my brothers, Tom and John, were born there. Jim was born after the family moved to Hollow and Mill Creek Road, Lower Merion Township. It was on the day he was christened that a lad, fifteen years old, fresh from the Ould Country came to the farm and asked for work. My father hired him and he stayed with the family until his death at aged seventy. This was "Mike" Sheeran.
Soon after this, at the turn of the century, my mother's youngest sister, Maggie, came to live with them. She was only sixteen years old. When I was born in May, 1902, Aunt Maggie was my godmother along with mother's brother, Patrick, who had also come from Ireland and lived in Atlantic City, N.J.

3 Comments:

At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike Sheeran was 15 in November 1899 when Uncle Jim was born. He lived to be 70, or to the year 1955? He was working for Uncle Frank at North Wales in the 1930s. Uncle Frank got married in November 1942. Around this time he moved to Salsfordville, PA. After a few years he became an employee himself.
Where Mike Sheeran was from 1942 to 1955 is a mystery to me.

 
At 4:23 AM, Blogger Mimi said...

But John, Mike Sheeran worked for Uncle Frank after he was married, at least for several years. Have you asked Aunt Claire if she remembers what happened to him? Also, if he lived until 1955, I think lots of cousins would have remembered him. Maybe Charlie R. does.

 
At 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aunt Claire told me that Mike Sheeran wasn't working for Uncle Frank after they were married. If he had been living in the house in Salsfordville, I am sure she would have remembered. She didn't seem to know what happened to him. I read somewhere where he was buried in New Catheral Cemetery, but I couldn't find a record the day I went up there. Don't remember the year of death I gave for him at that time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home