Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Monday, November 13, 2006

Aunt Mary's Memoirs, Chapter 2: VI

About this time a young Irishman named John Hughes was the bartender for my father's sister, Fannie, and her husband. When my Aunt Mary met this handsome lad they promptly fell in love. As John had promised his younger sister, Lizzie, when he left Ireland, that same day he would send for her. He now did so and when my father met the pretty Irish colleen he lost his heart and asked her to be his wife.
My mother had spent her childhood in Dungannon, County Tyrone, Ireland. Her father was a farmer but also worked as a carpenter. He had married Mary Ann McElkenny, the daughter of a tailor who lived nearby, and they had seven children. John was the oldest son; Lizzie was ten years younger. She was 22 years old when she became my father's bride. He was thirty-two.

3 Comments:

At 10:29 AM, Anonymous Seán Mac Giolla Chainnigh said...

My great-great grandfather was called Edward McElkenny, a carpenter from Errigal Keiran in Tyrone. He married a Mary Anne. and each of her sons named daughters Mary Anne.

Seán Mac Giolla Chainnigh
(Seán McIlkenny)
Belfast

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Mimi said...

Dear Mr. McIlkenny,
I wonder if we're related. The "Lizzie" in the post was my grandmother, Elizabeth Hughes Byrne. She died long before I was born. Did any of your relatives move to America early on?
Thank you so much for your comment.
Rosemary Byrne Molloy (Mimi)

 
At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Mary Ann McElkenny (1838-1929) in the Memoirs was the daughter of Peter McElkenny and Elizabeth (Betty) Corrigan. They had seven children and made men's suits somewhere in Co. Tyrone, Ireland.
John Byrne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home