Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Friday, November 03, 2006

Aunt Mary's Memoirs: XXII

One thing I remember: I was usually in charge of the younger ones during Mother's absence and she always brought home some goodie. Her last errand in town before boarding the homemade trolley was to stop at Hanscom's Baking Shop and buy some cinnamon buns, tarts or cupcakes. She would come down the lane at the end of the day carrying a few packages, the rest to be delivered in a day or so, tired but satisfied she had accomplished a lot and enjoyed a day out for a change. I learned many years later to know that same feeling myself, and my mind would go back to those early years of Mother coming home with the "treat" for her kiddies, having had a tiring but pleasant day herself as a break from the daily chore of tending her large brood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home