Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Friday, October 27, 2006

Aunt Mary's Memoirs: XV

The boys minded the cows on summer afternoons. About eleven o'clock, together with one or two of the younger children, I was allowed to take them a little snack. We sat and enjoyed our picnic and could see the hill on the other side of the Schuylkill River. There we watched the railroad trains come along the track, disappear into Flat Rock Tunnel and come out the other side. As the Manayunk mills blew the noontime whistle we knew it was time to drive the cows home.
There was a swimming hole in the creek in the back pasture. The water was clear and cold. One time a city cousin spent a few weeks with us and he helped to dig the pond. He cut his toe very badly with the shovel. I was forbidden to go along with my brothers in this adventure as Mother tried very hard to make a lady of me and although I begged loudly I could never gain her consent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home