Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Aunt Mary's Memoirs, Chapter 2: I

As a young girl I had heard aunts, uncles and older cousins speak of the Byrne family as something special. Indeed, as I recall, being a Byrne was almost on a par with being a Catholic. Listening to grown-ups' conversations, I sometimes detected a different set of rules for the family than for those outside the clan. What was a misdemenor or wrongdoing by a cousin was often laughed off in the telling as a prank and excusable, wheras the same act by somebody else would surely bring criticism and condemnation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home