Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Aunt Mary's Memoirs: XXIII

Mother wore high-necked shirtwaists and long, flowing skirts with high button shoes, as this was the fashion of the day. I had large bows of ribbon for my hair and wide silk scarves or sashes around my chubby waist or slightly below. The style of bathing suit for a trip to the seashore was more like a dress with full bloomers underneath, worn with stockings, shoes and a cap, of course, to hold our long hair.
One birthday I was given a pretty parasol, white with huge pink roses and green leaves. Ladies carried these for protection from the sun. Another cherished gift, at Christmas, was a knitted wool cap and scarf. When I wore this with my fur muff which was lined with silk and had a small purse embedded in it, I felt proud as I could be.
There was a beautiful velvet bonnet which was very becoming to me, it was said. It had been a hand-me-down from a cousin, as was the good red chinchilla coat with the bright brass buttons. I received many good clothes from this cousin, who was a few years older. As my cousin outgrew these pretty things, Mother was only too happy to have them for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home