Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Monday, November 06, 2006

Aunt Mary's Memoirs: XXV

In the spring of 1924, Papa died. There had been a late heavy snow and he had shoveled paths from the house to the milkhouse and barn, piling it three feet high on either side. He caught a cold, pneumonia developed, and he died within a week.
I had been away at a party at a girlfriend's house on Saturday night and had stayed over Sunday with her. When I came home and learned my father was so ill I immediately went to his room. He was always proud of being a Byrne, and now told me to never forget who I was and to take pride in my family heritage. I was a young lady at this time and worked as a secretary in an insurance office in Philadelphia and had several young men courting me.
End of Chapter One

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home