Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Aunt Mary's Memoirs, Chapter 2: V

My father's Aunt Margaret Byrne Flanagan had a grocery store at 42nd and Market Streets. It was with this aunt that his sister Rose took refuge from gossiping neighbors when she was jilted by her young man, practically at the altar.
A cousin, John Duffy, was a cattle dealer and when I was a small child he would come to our house to see about buying or selling cows. He was stout, had white hair and a mustache, and smoked big cigars. I always knew he was visiting when I smelled that pleasant aroma as I came home from school.
Other cousins of my father were the Deerings of South Philadelphia whose entire family was murdered by a disgruntled farmhand. The story of this gruesome deed never failed to thrill me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home