Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Friday, March 13, 2009

"The Handicapped At Home": Foreword

Foreword
After a year-long hiatus, I'm adding to "Uncle Frank's Farm" or "Domino Lane." (I honestly don't know the official name of this blog--but no matter.) Here's the reason:
I recently received a copy of a manuscript written by my dear cousin, Judy, in 1981. Judy was the daughter of my Uncle Frank and Aunt Claire, both of whom she predeceased. As noted earlier, she was the author of a textbook for medical technology students, of which I have a copy.
This paper concerns her personal situation and is called "The Handicapped At Home/revised for medical personnel." It details the care Judy received after the accident that left her paralyzed from the shoulders down (C-5,6) at the age of 22.
It's painful to realize how difficult it must have been for her to put these thirty-plus pages together. In Judy's later years, she used a computer, but they were not common 28 years ago. By means of a dowel fastened by Velcro on her right hand, she laboriously typed this letter by letter on a manual typewriter. The manuscript includes diagrams and photographs, but on my copy, the latter show up poorly, as it was duplicated on a black and white copier. That isn't too important, though, as Judy's words--calm, measured, and clear--tell the whole story. With great dignity and no self-pity, she outlines the incredible amount of time and effort it took to care for her. Even for non-medical personnel, it's enthralling.
And harrowing.
I will try to add some of the manuscript, at least a few times a week, if not every day; I will leave it exactly as written. I think the Byrne relatives who actually are "medical personnel," will find it interesting, but I believe laypeople, as I am, will, too.
I was privileged to know Judy. I visited her as often as I could and we corresponded via e-mail in between. I saw her a few days before her death. Our family was richer because of her and I think she would be pleased to know that her manuscript--and her person--have not been forgotten.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home