Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Judy: 1, d.

7. Every third or fourth morning includes a trip into my bath tub in lieu of the bed bath. My father installed a small tub i my bedroom on an elevated platform. (See Appendix I, drawing 1). This enables the legs of the Hoyer Lifter, which I use to transfer from the bed into the tub, to glide smoothly under the tub allowing me to be lowered safely into it. (For safety and security, this should be a two person operation.) For this trip, I use a second Moyer sling, which we keep separate just for splashing days. Included in the tub are several extra features for both safety and comfort:
a. A grab bar on the wall, well within the reach of my are - and no-skid strips on the bottom of the tub (mine are adhesive backed rubber flowers), I feel are very necessary.
b. In place of the standard shower head, we ordered from Sear's catalogue an adjustable, hand-held shower head with a five foot long metal hose. This turns and sitting bath and shampoo into a shower and works just beautifully.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home