Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Judy: 1, i

g. Begin dressing which includes:
1.) Surgical elastic stockings with flared thigh. (Mine are by Kenlon and are quite expensive, $35.00 a pair, but they last about a year.) Their function is to prevent blood from pooling in my feet and legs and to permit me the security of sitting with my feet lowered without fainting.
2.) Hoke Polio Sitting Corset with rigid metal uprights. This glamours looking garment of sturdy canvas is custom made with metal uprights shaped ot fit my spinal curves. Its purpose is to make breathing easier and to add stability to my sitting position in the wheelchair - I must sit at a slightly reclined angle.
3.) the remainder of dressing includes a bra, panties, dress, etc. (See Appendix V)
h. Even though most of the above procedure is accomplished with me in a prone position, it does not require as much brute strength as would seem likely. The necessary turning is done by using body leverage which enables the nurse to accomplish her tasks without undue tugging and pulling on my arms and legs.
i. Arrange the nylon Hoyer sling with patient carefully centered to insure a comfortable sitting position and proper balance. Time and practice in the use of the hoist gives confidence, but we usually have an extra person present for learners. Hurrah! Hours later, I am up in the wheelchair and ready to go.
* * * * *

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home