Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Judy: 1, g

B. The actual morning's work breaks down into two distinct programs which occur on alternate days.
1. Work day - My goal on this day is to be mobile in my motorized wheelchair and usually this is a day when I go to work. To accomplish this we use a routine similar to the following:
a. Count the day's medication into individual pill cups to prevent any later mix-up.
b. Coat feet and ankles moderately with Dermassage, stroking (never messaging) lightly upwards from the toes to the calf. This is to keep the skin from drying or cracking as we do not bathe my feet and legs daily.
c. Do passive range of motion exercises on legs. (See Appendix III) The purpose of these is to keep my tendons and muscles limber, but they also have a very relaxing effect on my back and help to unwind any muscle tension that may have built up overnight.
d. Sit up in bed for breakfast, using a foam rubber wedge pillow behind my back. This upright position is a refreshing relief after lying down all night, but it also serves the purpose of stabilizing my blood pressure, as I am often quite dizzy when I first sit up. In this position, gravity allows me to feed myself from a bedside table which is placed in front of me. Feeding myself breakfast on this day is my only active participation in the entire morning's schedule. (See Appendix IV)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home