Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Friday, July 07, 2006

The Farm and a Weekly Allowance

Pop died in April of 1924 and as Joe was anxious to quit the farm and take a job elsewhere, I took over the job of running the farm and selling the milk. Just before I took over, Mom and Joe decided to give up the retail route and sell the milk at wholesale to Missimer Dairies on Delmar Street in Roxborough. Joe became a carpenter and worked at it until the depression put most everyone out of work.
When I was young, I can see now, we were very poor as far as money was concerned although I never thought so at the time. We never had a regular weekly or monthly allowance. Once when I was in high school, we were asked to fill out a form in which we were asked to tell how much weekly allowance we received. I answered one dollar, but I did not say that seventy-five cents of it was for trolley fare (five trips at 15 cents a round trip). However, I did not think we were poor. I always considered us as upper middle class. This was probably because we always had plenty to eat, three meals a day, much of it produced right at home on the farm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home