Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Ice Tools

My family had moved there in 1905 just before Joe was born and about two and a half years before I showed up. Another remnant of my father's earlier activities was a set of tools that had been used for cutting and storing ice. It consisted of an ice cutting saw, what looked like farm forged ice tongs and various poles and hooks. They had been used for cutting ice on a lake in winter and storing it for the following summer. This happened at the Christ Church Hospital farm on Monument Avenue near Belmont Avenue at Bala. The ice was used by the hospital, I believe, and the work was in lieu of part of the rent for the farm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home