Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Pop's Passing

Along about 1920, Pop developed asthma and the slightest exertion made him gasp for breath. I guess he consulted a doctor, I don't know, but he seemed to have it for the rest of his life. In April of 1924, we had a heavy snowstorm and he caught a severe cold. The snow had drifted and piled up on the porch roof. Pop was afraid the roof would collapse and he stood on the lawn while he directed me, up on the roof, to shoveling off the snow. I often wondered if that is how he caught the cold. At any rate he died a few days later of heart failure on April 14, 1924. By that time I was in my third year of high school and things never seemed the same after that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home