Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Aunt Maggie

One of my first memories was of being punished by my Aunt Maggie for playing at the top of a retaining wall that was just outside the "shed" (an outside kitchen of the lower house on Domino Lane). The wall was about five feet high and I was about three years old. The steps and the path above it led to the privvy which we called the water closet. Of course there was no water anywhere near it. Water for washing or cooking was probably obtained from a shallow well on the other side of the house just outside the kitchen door. I doubt if this was a good source of water, as it was soon abandoned. The springhouse and water at the bottom of the hill may have been used. This is the only memory I have of Aunt Maggie before she went back to Ireland to help care for her mother.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home