Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Friday, June 30, 2006

Brother Joe and the Sledding Hill

Another memory is of my brother Joe showing me a patch of tiny white flowers that we found in the pasture. It was at the bottom of the hill near where we used to sled in the winter. Joe who was two years older than I, was always my great hero and constant companion. He always seemed so wise and strong. In later years, although he had little schooling I always sought his advice and opinion on every decision of importance I had to make. I still miss him greatly.
About that hill where we sledded in the winter, there was a bump at the bottom which gave us a thrill before we leveled off along a stream. I remember following my older brothers and sister to that hill and being so cold and wet that my toes were frozen. One of my toes still shows the result of that frostbite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home