Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Swollen Glands and Horsepower

Sometime later a swelling developed on my neck just below my right ear. Doctor Custer called it swollen glands, and came to the house a couple of times to cut and remove them. It must have hurt me because I recall being very frightened when he made subsequent calls. Oh yes, doctors made house calls in those days. There was a recurrence later when I was in first grade. A lump in front of my right ear. Mary took me to the doctor's office after school and he opened it up and scraped it out with what appeared to be a tiny spoon. I have never had that problem since.
Joe and I used to play in an old piece of farm machinery that was rusting out in the barnyard that was behind the barn. It was called the horsepower and was a treadmill where a horse furnished the belt power to operate a threshing machine, a circular saw or any other machine that required belt power. I don't think it was ever used on the Domino Lane farm, but it was fun to play in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home