Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Physical Concerns

For over a year, I had been having trouble with my eyesight and the ophthalmologist that I consulted in Chestnut Hill had told me that I had glaucoma. He treated it with eye drops of ever-increasing strengths with little or no result. He spoke of having to operate, but seemed reluctant to do anything about it. Finally I consulted with John Shober who was our family doctor and he told me to go to Doctor Adler. Doctor Adler was an elderly man and the leading eye doctor in Philadelphia at that time. When he examined my eyes, he told me that it was important that I have an operation immediately to relieve the pressure in the eyes. He sent me to University of Pennsylvania Hospital where Doctor Shea operated the next day on my right eye and again on my left eye two weeks later. I was in the hospital for a little over a month.
In the same year I was having dental problems and when I got my partial plate, I felt that I was really cracking up. However, it all turned out all right.

2 Comments:

At 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

According to Aunt Mary's book : "1962, Frank had operations on both eyes for glaucoma. He suffered a heart condition in 1963."

Uncle Tom discovered that he had glaucoma by age 66. With Uncle Joe it was 58. Uncles Frank and Ed were age 55 when it was discovered.

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Mimi said...

Ouch, John! That means all the surviving Byrne males of that generation had glaucoma. Wonder if the next did--our cousins? Thanks for the information.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home