Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Learning By Doing

After about five years, the older Mr. Jules Dehan died and Bornot decided to sell the dairy farm and quit farming. He asked me to stay on as maintenance and general handyman. And so for the next thirty-seven years I did all kinds of work of almost any trade. If I didn't know how, I learned by doing. If I wasn't very fast no one complained and I soon learned to do anything required.
Bornot and I worked together to clear out the cow stables and make them into a workshop. We had to use a compressed air jackhammer to break up the concrete cow stalls and I hauled many tons of concrete and rubble down to the lawn in front of my house. There, we raised the level of the lawn to replace a wooden porch that we had removed.
It was during this time that I did most of the renovating of the house where I lived. I tore out the flooring of the living room and hall as well as the partition and stairs to the second floor. It took most of one summer to rebuild and finish this job but I learned a great deal about carpentering and stair building.

2 Comments:

At 8:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I graduated from High School in June of 1960; and spent that summer working for Uncle Frank on the Plymouth Township farm. The main house was three stories high with stucco walls and a red tile roof. It's front was on Plymouth Road facing north. The driveway came off of Plymouth Road and went by the west side of the house and back to the rear of the main barn which was modified for garages. The tree lined driveway then looped around back towards the main house where it meet the steps of a large elevated flagstone patio. Thus the driveway completed an oblong circle.

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Mimi said...

Thanks for the description, John--and the information. I didn't know you worked for Uncle Frank.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home