Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Monday, August 21, 2006

People At The Farm

Sonya, who was eight years old when I came there, was in elementary school at Fontbenne Academy and later at Raven Hill Academy in Chestnut Hill, and I was often called on to take her there or home again. Sometimes I took her to dancing lessons in Mount Airy, or in the summer, to riding school at a horse farm near North Wales. So, besides being a farmer, I became the maintenance and general handyman.
I had plenty of help to assist me in these jobs. There was Jack Threlfal, an Englishman who worked most of the time in the barn keeping the stables clean and feeding the cows and horses. At that time we had five horses which Bill and his friends often rode. Jack lived in an apartment in the corner of the barn. There was also one or more of the Brown boys. They were a Negro family who lived in another house on Gravers Road at the lower end of the farm. Of course, Bill was not usually around to help with the work of plowing, soil preparation, crop planting, hay making, baling, etc.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home