Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Move to Norristown

The job at Norristown at the Dehon (later Driscoll) farm was the same as what I had been doing most of my life: In the barn by six in the morning to milk the cows, then cooling the milk while feeding the cows and cleaning up, then delivering the milk to the dairy before going home to breakfast. Later I would work at whatever farm work the season demanded. However, I soon found that it was not all farm work. I was given such jobs as mowing the lawns, trimming hedges, feeding the dog and being the chauffeur to various members of the family. They were all very friendly and understanding and we got along well.
The family consisted of Mr. and Mrs. Jules Dehon, their son Bornot, his wife Yvonne, and their daughter Sonya. The older Mrs. Dehon was in the hospital and died about six weeks after I moved there, and so I never did meet her. I moved into the farmhouse on the lower end of the farm on February 6, 1946 and lived there until August 29, 1988, when I came here to PVRC.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home