Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Monday, August 14, 2006

Drought

The year 1945 was very dry with little or no rain. The pastures dried up and the cows suffered from lack of grass. I extended the fence to include more land, but they kept breaking out and causing much trouble. I was forced to start feeding hay by the middle of August and by fall it became evident that I could not continue over the winter. So we decided to sell the livestock and I would take a job somewhere to tide us over until the following spring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home