Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Bornot

We put a new concrete floor in the old cow stable, and Bornot equipped it with all kinds of tools and machines for repairing cars, for doing all kinds of carpenter work, plumbing, painting, electrical wiring and woodwork and cabinet work. We both enjoyed working there together because, at that time, Bornot's wife Yvonne was sick and after some time in Jefferson Hospital, she died suddenly. This was a big blow to Bornot and he felt lost without her. We spent much time together at various jobs around the farm and house. But he seemed depressed and I feel that he was never the same again. I don't know what he did when we were not together, but I think he drank too much and did not get enough rest. He bought and drove different sports cars but did not seem satisfied with anything.

1 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was about a twenty five minute walk from my house to the farm where I reported for work at the main barn. On the first day, I got there early and noticed that in the middle of the circle near the barn was a one room house with a pyramid roof. I could see that this little house was complete with windows and even had a radiator inside. When Uncle Frank arrived, he told me that it was used in the past to keep monkeys.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home