Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

The Apartments II

Before I worked on that project, I had helped to build the second of those three apartments. It is also very unusual and includes the area that had been the barn ramp where I had in previous years brought in so much baled hay. The kitchen is perfectly round because it is built inside what used to be the silo. There are two bedrooms and two baths and also a back stairway down to the garage. The front entrance is onto a concrete porch and small lawn where the original big barn doors and barn hill had been. I always had plenty of help on this project. One helper was Ben Walker, who moved in and still lives there.
While the barn apartments were being built, I worked from time to time on different projects of renovating and modernizing the big house where Joan and Roger lived. I completely remade the three bathrooms and repainted most of the interior. We decided to remodel and insulate the old sun porch.
It was while I was rewiring this room on September seventh that I got word that Judy had been hurt in an accident on her way to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home