Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Sunday, April 05, 2009

Judy: Part II, a.

Part II
1 p.m. to 9 p.m. - Living
A. Once situated in the wheelchair or chaise lounge for the day, I need many special devices, adaptations and household arrangements to make any routine activity possible. Before describing my afternoon's schedule, I will try to list and explain most of the self-help equipment involved.
1. Within the house, for my convenience, we have included:
a. A low level light switch on the wall which is easy to reach from a wheelchair.
b. A sink, located next to a door for easy access, which includes an individual control faucet rather than the dual control type. This make is possible for me ot ride to the side of the sink and control the flow and temperature of water with the pressure from only one. hand.
c. A desk, which is elevated on blocks for easy access from a wheelchair and is used for reading, writing and typing projects.
d. A large elevated dining counter, with plenty of leg room underneath, is for mealtimes and some of my more ambitious projects.
e. Slow grade ramps replace any outdoor steps and lead to doors amply wide for a wheelchair.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home