Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Monday, October 16, 2006

Aunt Mary's Memoirs: IV

At school, the boys' play area was divided from the girls' by a high board fence. I did not like to be separated from my brothers, especially Jim, who was my champion and protector. He tried to make me understand why I could not be with him at recess time.
In the classroom, we sat two pupils to a seat and shared a desk together. There was a shelf for our slates and pencils and an inkwell on top. We children who lived far from school carried our lunches and my father would leave a small bottle of milk for me every morning, which I gave to another little girl who would drink it. I would carry home the empty bottle to be washed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home