Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Uncle Ed's Memoirs: I

Would you like to go back home, sweet home/Where the world and your friends are true/And down the lane to stroll again/Where mother waits for you?
I suppose each of us had that wish at one time or another, but that's another story. Anyhow, Domino Lane wasn't much of a lane: a rocky dirt road, maybe three quarters of a mile from Ridge Avenue down to Umbria Street. Long before my time, it ran down to the Schuylkill Canal at a place near the locks where the boatmen would gather and play dominos while waiting for the lockkeeper to let them pass through. Anyhow, that's what the older folks told me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home