Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Friday, July 21, 2006

Disaster/Veggies

This worked out well for a while until disaster struck in an unforeseen way. Late one evening a pair of large dogs got into the building where I kept two hundred of my best young hens. Before it was discovered they had killed one hundred and thirty five of them. We shot the dogs but the hens were a great loss.
I also grew vegetables to sell to my egg customers and to stores at wholesale. The tomatoes and lima beans seemed to be the best sellers and the most profitable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home