Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Monday, July 17, 2006

High School

When I was in grade school at Holy Family, I don't remember giving any thought about what I would do when I finished school. I suppose I thought I would just continue farming somewhere. I don't remember thinking about high school or college at all. During the summer after I finished eighth grade, Father Grace, our pastor at the time, asked my parents and me if I would like to go to Roman Catholic High School as each parish was supposed to send at least one pupil there each year. So in September of 1921, I started high school by going to the high school annex at Saint Columba's at Twenty-Third and Lehigh Avenue. Here I met many of the boys I eventually graduated with. My second, third and fourth years of high school were spent at the main building at Broad and Vine, and while there I got to know center city Philadelphia pretty well. I even visited and watched a trial in a city hall courtroom. On of my favorite places to visit was the public library at Twelfth and Locust Streets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home