Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Drifting Into Farming

Even when I finished high school and started working on the family farm, I had never given any thought to having a choice if this should be my life's work. I don't think anyone ever advised me or gave me my choice, but I guess it turned out all right, although I realize, by today's standards, I was not equipped to be a farmer either physically or financially. Like Topsy, I just grew up and drifted into it.
After high school, I soon realized the farm could not produce enough milk to make a living by selling it at wholesale. So I tried to increase my income by producing eggs and selling them at retail on an egg route to Germantown and had to buy eggs at wholesale at the egg producers' auction at Center Point. I began raising more hens by buying baby chicks and growing them to productive age.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home