Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Judy: Appendix V, a.

Clothing
The following are some suggestions for purchase and adaptations which we have found successful for comfortable and attractive wheelchair attire.
1. Dresses - These are purchased or made at least one size larger than my former size to allow freedom for shoulder movement and room for the bulky brace. I avoid fitted clothing and dresses with a waistline. All my dresses are split up the back (bound and reinforced), from the hem to approximately the waist level. This allows graceful draping and arranging for wheelchair sitting. (While this procedure works fine for me because I do not leave my wheelchair, it wold be unsatisfactory for someone who transfers from the chair in public.)
2. Blouses and tops - Knit tops, jerseys and sweaters seem to fit, look and feel better than regular cloth blouses. Because of developed shoulder and arm muscles along with loss of muscle tone elsewhere, I find a size larger than normal to be more comfortable.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home