Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

More On The Catholic Club

One time we invited the Doylestown club to our hall and entertained them with a one act play. I played the part of a condemned convict, and what I remember most was a very emotional scene with my sister, played by Catherine O'Neill, another club member. Catherine was a very attractive girl and it was quite a thrill to be kissing and embracing her. I often wondered later why I did not try to get to know her better.
Of course I knew that I couldn't become too familiar with any girl. I was just a poor farmer with no money and no prospects of ever making a good living at it. I suppose I always thought in the back of my mind tat I would some day marry and raise a family but that was in some vague future time and I gave it very little thought.
The club also had other activities. A yearly banquet, doggie roast or picnic. I became the secretary in charge of keeping records and the minutes of each meeting. Most of the time, in the president's absence, I would act as chairman.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home