Domino Lane

Memories of rural life on a Pennsylvania farm in the early years of the 20th century. Although the topic is different, I've added (in 2009), my cousin's absorbing paper, "The Handicapped At Home." REMEMBER: To start at the beginning, you must click on the June 2006 section of the archives, go to the June 25th entry, then "scroll up" from there.

Monday, July 31, 2006

Selling The Milk

This seemed to be the best solution but then I felt that I should still provide a home for Mike, who had spent most of his life working for our family and was now old and almost penniless with no place else to go. So I bought more cows and started over again. Then came more problems.
By now it was late in spring which is the high production time of year and the dairy had too much milk and could not take on another producer. The best that I could do was to sell the milk to Thomas Dairies in Flourtown for five cents a quart. Soon after that the dairy began to fall behind in their payments for the milk. This got progressively worse for over a year until I refused to send them any more. Thomas Dairies soon went bankrupt after that and a year or so later, due to lawyer costs and court fees, I received about ten percent of the money due me. The new milk market was Witchwood Farms and they paid me much better and promptly. But that is another story that I will tell later.

1 Comments:

At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A fantastic blog yours. Keep it up.
If you have a moment, please visit my wholesale wire site.
I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home